Monday, May 3, 2010

...the most amazing letter

Ahere's letter...
Jeff giving Ahere the bible he asked Dorothy for.
Dorothy, Bennett and Ahere at the Acacia Village children;s home we were painting...
bringing bibles to all the worker kids at Acacia Village...
Jeff and the Ethiopian Amharic language bibles...
The most amazing thing happened at Acacia Village. One of the young men that we gave clothes to wrote Dorothy a letter the day after he received the clothes and shoes. It should be published. It is such a sincere outpouring of gratitude and the depth that it reached in this young man was incredible. We were all moved to tears. He was the first to ask for and recieve a bible, which lead the other young people there to ask for the same. Here is what his letter said...

"Dear madam, sorry for not calling you with your name and let me say you "so kind and virtuous person",
Yesterday you brought me suits so sweet that they trippered in me tragedious childhood times. You see my parents didn't buy me clothes and I didn't feel those delicious scenes as my kid friends enjoyed it, because I was an orphan child.
What I remember of my childhood is that I was unloved, barefoot with tourtured clothes. After I have seen myself in the suits you bought me, I feel that I have regained my parents, who I did not know in my kid times. I felt as if they were released from their prison (graves) and giving me a surprise with this clothes.

Please let me not miss you too as I missed my parents.

Thank You a million,
Ahere

this letter contained my words translated by my friend- Anaan. I'm also grateful for him too for he helped me talk with you. I interrupted my education from grade 8 because of lack of support and I'm thinking to continue with night classes by working daytime next year.


SUCH POWERFUL, SOULFULL WORDS! "Trageious childhood", I didn't feel those delicious scenes of childhood, unloved, barefoot with TORTURED clothes!! my parents were released from their prison (graves)...it is almost too much to comprehend...what this poor boy has survived...

This sweet young man spilled his heart to dorothy and us in his amazing words. An orphaned child with dead parents that grew up unloved and alone. Our simple act of kindness made him feel like these clothes were a gift from his dead parents releasing them from their grave-prison. Unbelievable how powerful that is...


3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hello! I have recently found your blog and loved hearing about your experiences in Ethiopia. i am a CWA family and am launching an orphan ministry at our church. We are planning a vision trip to Ethiopia with CWF in October. It is great to hear about your experiences. Good luck to you!
Stephanie

Engendo said...

Such a beautiful letter to go along with a beautiful story. :)

Brad and Christy Sherrell said...

Liz - Thank you for posting these items slowly so that we can reflect on them one by one. Each post has been so significant and so special in its own right. I'm so blessed to have met you and to have our lives intertwined because of these beautiful people. God bless you, Jeff, and your wonderful family.