Thursday, May 21, 2009

It seemed like a good idea...


In almost 19 years of being a mom, I have never bought uncrustables or any other type of frozen pre-made food.  No frozen nuggets, no fish sticks...not that there's anything wrong with it, but since I work from home I try to make everything from scratch...
well, I was at Costco 2 days ago and saw these UNCRUSTABLES peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and thought it looked like a great idea for a quick snack if I wasn't home.  This morning we were running a little late and Tess asked if she could try one of the uncrustables.  I said sure...gave it to her in a paper towel and she jumped in the back seat of the car to eat it on our way to school...WELL- by the time we got to school (a 2 minute ride!) she had peanut butter and jelly all over her hands, face and dress...and I mean all over- like a 3 year old would.  Here's the problem...since Tess came we've been trying to get her to eat without smashing the food with her hands.  When they eat injera in Ethiopia, they smash the food with their fingers because it serves as the utensil...well she smashes it with ther whole hand, I guess because her hand is so small...Whenever she's done eating anything with her hands it is ALL OVER her hands and face.  It just surprised me because she's been here 9 months and I just expected that she had the sandwich thing down...In her defense, I don't know how much peanut butter and jelly they cram into these little sandwiches, maybe too much...anyway, today after school we will have another go at how to eat a sandwich without smashing it into a little ball and forcing all the contents to spill all over you...I wish I had a camera to take her picture but I took a photo of the left over sandwich and her napkin...she looked about the same!!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Hi! Here is the link for the Blog Union 2009- http://www.meetup.com/blogunion/
Let me knonw if you have any problems with it the link.
I bet your daughter would love it- there are a good handfull of families that recently brought home older girls around her age! How fun!!
By the way, I was cracking up at the PBJ story...poor thing! Old habits are heard to break. :)