Monday, November 10, 2008

Homecoming at SMU

...before I share some great photos and tell you about our fun weekend with Christine at SMU, I want to address the "less than loving" blog comments I received about my Obama post...

First of all...WOW.  This blog is about sharing a loving, life changing, humanitarian journey...not a forum for angry political people to vent.   I shared my feelings about being happy for Tess and anyone else who now has hope and inspiration by having a black family in the WHite house.  I'm sure there are those who are frustrated by the election outcome, I do understand that, but the bigger greater moment in all this is that people all over the globe who have not had a chance, or hope, or a way to visualize themselves in a greater place, NOW DO!  How great is that. 
The momentum and need of the world moved Obama into this place...it's bigger than he is and represents something much greater...
we were in Argentina last Feb. when a Senagalese man waited on us and all he could talk about was Obama...I was at my cousins wedding in Portugal last October 07(she married a Dutch guy) and all the Dutch  asked us about was what was happening in the US, how were people responding to the Obama-Clinton race, what was the energy like and who did we think would win???-Obama or Clinton!!  And finally, when we were in Ethiopia, we learned that the fortunate who were able to go to university in Addis often end up years later selling in the kiosks because there is no opportunity or HOPE for anything greater.  Did you see the telecasts from all over Africa?  These people now have HOPE , for whatever that's worth it is something amist nothing.  
That is why I am happy for those who are lifted by this and  I will pray for Obama and all of us... that he does God's work and whatever work needs to be done to move us all forward.  To those who took time to send me your negative outlook...try to find peace in the bigger picture, just be aware of the historic nature of it all and how great that is  and most of all pray.
PS. go see THE SECRET LIVES OF BEES

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. The world sees hope in the fact that something that we thought could never happen in America happened. They now see that anything can happen anywhere and there is hope in that. I'm with you. It was the same in Kenya. Every man I met asked me who I was voting for. It's an exciting time for our world - no matter what your political view is.

Brad and Christy Sherrell said...

You go girl! I was surprised to see the comments on your blog. Having a child with black skin has truly awaken another part of my conscience. I have never thought of myself as predjudice but in fact we all are. But what Obama does for this nation and others is provide Hope that EVERYONE has a chance to do whatever they want. For some, it may be much more difficult, but they have a vision of what it looks like. Whether or not you voted for Obama, he is our president and we must pray to God that he supports our citizens and does the right thing on all fronts. But because he is a human, we know that he might not always make the right decisions...and for that we must forgive. Liz, thank you for your thoughts and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your beautiful family as I know that was what your intent was for this blog. God bless and we love you!

Kate said...

I've been following you blog for a couple weeks now and Tess is just a beautiful child.

As for this post...YOU GO GIRRRL!!!

God Bless!

fungaga said...

Aqui em Portugal, o sentimento com a vitória do Obama foi de alegria e grande expectativa. Acho que toda a Europa sonhava há muito com uma América mais plural. Se a presidência Obama tiver como resultado colateral melhorar nem que seja um bocadinho a vida em Africa, fico ainda mais feliz.

Quanto aos comentários idiotas, quando surgem no meu blogue eu apago-os... não tenho paciência para ficar com registos de gente mal educada e quem manda no meu espaço, mesmo que virtual, sou eu!

Já agora, vê este site
http://theplaceswelive.com/
É muito belo (tristemente belo) e dá muito que pensar.

Muitos beijinhos para toda a família.

fungaga said...

Ainda a propósito, olha este filme tão engraçado
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zW2ifKSQA4