Sunday, March 1, 2009

A walk on the beach...


Jeff and I took Tess and Cameron to the beach this morning.  It is a beautiful day here...the kids boogie boarded and played in the freezing water while we sat and discussed how to handle some of the challenges we are facing with Tess.  Jeff described her as "suffocating".  I had never thought of it that way but that is exactly how I have felt at times.  As sweet as she can be, sometimes her boldness and constant need to be right in your space talking non stop really does get suffocating.  It's really hard to explain and I don't want to sound unloving...but imagine a type of behavior coming from an 8 year old little girl that could feel suffocating to an adult man...
I read this book called "Backtalk" years ago.  I just recently pulled it back out.  It gives some great ideas about changing undesirable behavior...we're trying another type of chart this week...we'll see how it goes. 

On a brighter note...She continues to do great in school and with her english!  I'm really proud of how far she has come in 6 months.  We signed her up for indoor soccer at the boys and girls club today.  She will love it!  We continue to show her how much she is loved even though we are trying to teach her boundries.  If you think about how simple her life was compared with all the rules and regulations of our society and how things work here, she has adapted amazingly well...so I will continue to pray for discernment, patience, wisdom and guidance on the issues that we are still working on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am completely moved and my heart is touched by your love for your daughter. I feel so selfish! I always had said I wanted to adopt, there are so many children in this world without parents. I have two boys of my own but always felt driven to provide a loving home for a child who wasn't able to have that option in life whatever the circumstance might have been. Your are amazing! God Bless,KD